Sunday, 29 May 2011

Ruperra Castle

"Ruperra Castle was built in 1626 by Sir Thomas Morgan, who was knighted by King James 1st. It was a typical Jacobean courtier’s house, an example of the ‘Great Rebuilding’ of the 16th and 17th Centuries. King Charles 1st stayed there in 1645 raising support after the Battle of Naseby. A deer park was recorded in 1684 when the Duke of Beaufort feasted there and there were viewing points through the trees and beautiful grassed rides up to the summer house where the family took tea at this time."

So described at We took a family walk in the forestry commission nature reserve near this castle today and 'snuck' in for a nose. It's a very eerie and atmospheric place and quite dangerous if you venture into the buidling itself, as it is in a serious state of disrepair. The house and outbuildings behind the castle are in a better state and show signs of habitation, with curtains, furniture and even a pair of wellies, looking like they'd been used recently, stood on the floor in one locked room.

This was a strange mural on the wall of a downstairs room in the house to the rear of the castle.

The walk surrounding the castle is interesting, with a 360 degree viewpoint from an iron age hill fort that has had many different structures and uses down the ages. The weather wasn't playing ball today though...

There were also sculptures dotted about in a very pleasant conservation area walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment