Wednesday 7 October 2009

Ysgyryd Fawr

Just north of Abergavenny is Ysgyryd (Skirrid) Fawr which must be the easternmost of the Brecon Beacon mountains. I decided to take a short walk up it whilst I had a few hours spare. Up to the summit and back around the skirt is only 3 miles and not particulary strenuous, but the views are great. The first half mile is through ancient woodland and some fo the trees look like they should be Ents in Lord of the Rings.



Probably, the best view of the Sugarloaf is from the top of the Skirrid - it juts out of the landscape in volcanic fashion.




It only took me 30 minutes to get to the top and I only saw one other walker - Steve from Hereford - who tagged along for the walk back to the Carpark, and told me some of the many myths that concern Skirrid. Despite being a short walk, it's interesting and there's something alluring and mysterious about the Skirrid...don't go up there on Halloween!











No comments:

Post a Comment