Sunday 19 February 2012

A tale of two hills.

Today was spent on two different local hills. Firstly, a tough 11 mile trail run around the Cwmcarn Scenic Drive, taking in my favourite hill in the whole wide world, Twmbarlwm! It really did feel great to be out in the morning sun, listening to some inspiring, and some not so inspiring, tunes on the ipod whilst churning out the miles. My legs felt pretty tired as this was the 2nd 11 mile (and the 2nd visit to the top of Twmbarlwm) in 3 days.


Then, following a swift bite to eat (beans on toast, you cannot beat beans on toast for some post run protein and all round general, tasty, quick fix!) and 30 minutes of fence panel fixing fun in the garden, my son and I headed off to the east of Newport to Wentwood, to meet my Sis and Oliver, for a walk with the dogs.

The highest point in Wentwood is Grey Hill and it has tremendous views of the Bristol Channel. Devon, Somerset, Twmbarlwm (yes, you can see it clearly to the West) and the weather was nice and clear today.

The Second Severn Crossing to the East, where it costs at least £6 to get into our wonderful country.


The sky was really picturesque today


Some of our ensemble enjoyed the puddles. Note the rope connected to the go-kart, the other end of which is looped around my waist in an arctic explorer-pulling-a-sled type arrangement, that my 4 year old son thinks is great because pedalling is much easier!


Twmbarlwm, just visible, top centre.


After 16 miles of playing in the hills, my legs were shot, but my head was happy. Who needs mountains!?

No comments:

Post a Comment