Saturday 7 January 2012

Salomon Speedcross 2 GTX

I broke 31 miles for the week this morning with a great leisurely run over the Scenic Drive from Henllys with Jasper. As I parked up at the Dorallt Pub at 7am, I had a real 'I wanna be back in frigging bed' feeling. But we of course cracked on and got up onto the ridge by 7:30 with great views over the streetlit towns below. It was only just getting light as we passed across the summit of Twmbarlwm. Next time I hope to take a compact camera.

Both of us had Salomon Speedcross 2 Gtx trail shoes on. Mine in a stupid light green colour (only colour on offer when I plucked them from an online bargain site) and Jasper in his usual gothic-themed black model. For the conditions we had this morning, I found this shoe pretty ideal. It has enough grip on wet grass and mud to avoid any serious slippage - The 'Man Down' cry was only uttered once by Jasper on the whole run! They also kept my feet dry for a full 2 hours in very wet conditions. The only time they seem less than ideal is when we hit a section of tarmac for a while. They just feel a little too cushioned on hard surfaces. That's such a minor criticism though, and on the whole I love them. Jasper has not got on with his pair as much, but seemed to cope fine today. To show how leisurely the run actually was, we did 8.4 miles in 2 hours and 29 seconds! I hope to at least halve that pace in the Lliswerry 8 in 3 weeks. But what a great way to start a Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment